We recommend applying for a provisional licence as soon as possible as you will need this before you start learning to drive. You will need to complete the DVLA D1 application form, either via their website or at your local post office.
If you’d prefer to apply online, you can do so on the DVSA You can apply for your provisional driving licence up to three months before your 17th birthday although you cannot drive on the road until you have turned 17 and you have the provisional licence in your possession.
Before applying for a driving licence make sure you:
- Are a resident of the UK
- Can meet the minimum age requirement
- Can meet the minimum eyesight requirement
- Are currently not prevented from driving for any reason
- Can pay by MasterCard, Visa, Maestro, Electron, Delta or Solo debit or credit card
- Have a valid UK passport or another form of identity
- Can provide addresses of where you have lived over the last three years
The DVLA will aim to send your driving licence within ten working days of you submitting your application. In the meantime, you can of course brush up on your Highway Code and the various driving laws before taking your driving theory test.
FULL DRIVING LICENCE
Once you’ve passed your practical driving test you can apply for a full driving licence and get out on the road! You now need to contact the DVLA and exchange your test pass certificate and provisional driving licence for a new full UK driving licence as soon as possible.
Why not book your first lesson today! Simply contact one of our advisers